Cambridgeshire nurse sees fundraiser smash target within 24 hours after bike stolen
- Credit: Archant
A fundraiser to help a Cambridgeshire nurse whose bike was stolen the day before her birthday has smashed its target within 24 hours.
Ellie Watkins, a critical care nurse at Royal Papworth Hospital, saw her bike stolen in Cambridge city centre last weekend, prompting her colleagues to help buy her a replacement.
Within a day of the GoFundMe page being launched, it surpassed the initial target of £300 and has now managed to raise over £450.
Ellie, one of hundreds of nurses at the hospital who has worked throughout the coronavirus pandemic, has received messages of support as colleagues aim to replace her bike, which has a white frame and brown seat.
Writing on the GoFundMe page, Kerry Pooley, a senior critical care nurse, said: “She adores her bike and uses it every day to get to work. It’s her only form of transport.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope that as good community spirit we can raise some pennies so that Ellie can replace her beautiful bike.”
To donate, visit https://www.gofundme.com/f/ellie-needs-a-new-bike.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut