Cambridgeshire nurse sees fundraiser smash target within 24 hours after bike stolen
- Credit: Archant
A fundraiser to help a Cambridgeshire nurse whose bike was stolen the day before her birthday has smashed its target within 24 hours.
Ellie Watkins, a critical care nurse at Royal Papworth Hospital, saw her bike stolen in Cambridge city centre last weekend, prompting her colleagues to help buy her a replacement.
Within a day of the GoFundMe page being launched, it surpassed the initial target of £300 and has now managed to raise over £450.
Ellie, one of hundreds of nurses at the hospital who has worked throughout the coronavirus pandemic, has received messages of support as colleagues aim to replace her bike, which has a white frame and brown seat.
Writing on the GoFundMe page, Kerry Pooley, a senior critical care nurse, said: “She adores her bike and uses it every day to get to work. It’s her only form of transport.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope that as good community spirit we can raise some pennies so that Ellie can replace her beautiful bike.”
To donate, visit https://www.gofundme.com/f/ellie-needs-a-new-bike.
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 6 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 10 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam