Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- Credit: VARSITY CAMBRIDGE
Located just a short walk from Cambridge city centre, The Varsity Hotel and Spa has everything that’s needed for a relaxing weekend away.
As staycations continue to rise, there’s never been a better time to explore the historic city - and there’s something for everybody at this boutique hotel, which boasts 44 uniquely designed rooms as well as multiple restaurants and leisure facilities.
After browsing the many independent shops and exploring the famous colleges, afternoons can be spent sipping cocktails on the rooftop at the SIX terrace bar, working out at the gym or having a well-earned rest at the on-site spa.
There are plenty of options for where to dine, too: SIX restaurant, with its floor to ceilings windows, has a panoramic view of the city skyline, while the River Bar - situated on the Quayside in an 18th century warehouse - is a hidden gem.
Boasting a picturesque view of the river, and tucked away around the corner of the hotel, the location gives it a feeling of exclusivity; it’s not somewhere you would stumble across.
The interior’s exposed brick and plush leather sofas give the restaurant a homely feel.
And everything feels covid-safe too, with Perspex screens in-between tables.
In terms of the food, each course is temptingly presented; the halloumi with chutney gives it a spicy kick while the calamari and alioli is complemented by lettuce and a slice of lemon.
The surf and turf burger will leave your jaw on the floor while the sticky toffee pudding is a deliciously light way to finish a meal.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Warwick Davis and daughter Annabelle cut the ribbon at special opening
- 3 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 4 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 5 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 6 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 7 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 8 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 9 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 10 Retiring café owner desperate not to see shop 'back at square one'
The cocktail flavour map, meanwhile, not only showcases a range of flavours - it also proves there are enough different concoctions to justify return visits to SIX and the River Bar.
“We don’t go for small portions here”, says the waitress, having served up the biggest steak I’ve ever set eyes on.
The staff really could not be faulted during our overnight stay, either; everyone was friendly, cheery and willing to help.
The pièce de résistance, however, is the Glassworks spa, which overlooks the River Cam and the punters making their way across it. With a jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and several relaxation chairs, it’s easy to while away the hours.
So what are you waiting for? Book your stay at The Cambridge Varsity Hotel & Spa online.