Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- Credit: VARSITY CAMBRIDGE
Located just a short walk from Cambridge city centre, The Varsity Hotel and Spa has everything that’s needed for a relaxing weekend away.
As staycations continue to rise, there’s never been a better time to explore the historic city - and there’s something for everybody at this boutique hotel, which boasts 44 uniquely designed rooms as well as multiple restaurants and leisure facilities.
After browsing the many independent shops and exploring the famous colleges, afternoons can be spent sipping cocktails on the rooftop at the SIX terrace bar, working out at the gym or having a well-earned rest at the on-site spa.
There are plenty of options for where to dine, too: SIX restaurant, with its floor to ceilings windows, has a panoramic view of the city skyline, while the River Bar - situated on the Quayside in an 18th century warehouse - is a hidden gem.
Boasting a picturesque view of the river, and tucked away around the corner of the hotel, the location gives it a feeling of exclusivity; it’s not somewhere you would stumble across.
The interior’s exposed brick and plush leather sofas give the restaurant a homely feel.
And everything feels covid-safe too, with Perspex screens in-between tables.
You may also want to watch:
In terms of the food, each course is temptingly presented; the halloumi with chutney gives it a spicy kick while the calamari and alioli is complemented by lettuce and a slice of lemon.
The surf and turf burger will leave your jaw on the floor while the sticky toffee pudding is a deliciously light way to finish a meal.
- 1 Round one to High Flyer after highways gives thumbs up to giant mug
- 2 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 5 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 6 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 7 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 8 First homes approved for Waterbeach Barracks
- 9 Our weekly round-up of what Ely Standard readers have to say
- 10 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
The cocktail flavour map, meanwhile, not only showcases a range of flavours - it also proves there are enough different concoctions to justify return visits to SIX and the River Bar.
“We don’t go for small portions here”, says the waitress, having served up the biggest steak I’ve ever set eyes on.
The staff really could not be faulted during our overnight stay, either; everyone was friendly, cheery and willing to help.
The pièce de résistance, however, is the Glassworks spa, which overlooks the River Cam and the punters making their way across it. With a jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and several relaxation chairs, it’s easy to while away the hours.
So what are you waiting for? Book your stay at The Cambridge Varsity Hotel & Spa online.