Art historian and writer William Dalrymple to talk about new book at St Peter’s Church in Ely
- Credit: Archant
Scottish art historian, writer and broadcaster William Dalrymple will give a talk about his new book at St Peter’s Church in Ely on Monday December 2.
In 'The Anarchy', William tells the story of the East India Company as it has never been told before, unfolding a timely cautionary tale of the first global corporate power.
It follows the story of how one of the world's most magnificent empires disintegrated and came to be replaced by a dangerously unregulated private company, based thousands of miles overseas in one small office, five windows wide, and answerable only to its distant shareholders.
In less than four decades it had trained up a security force of around 200,000 men and had subdued an entire subcontinent.
Admission costs £30 (including book) or £7 (entry only). Doors open at 7.10pm for a 7.30pm start.
You may also want to watch:
Book online via www.toppingbooks.co.uk/events/ely/william-dalrymple-4/
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment