We’re Behind You! New ‘panto platform’ hopes to boost Ely’s economy when Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs comes to town this winter
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of this year’s pantomime, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, are teaming up with many of the areas top pubs and restaurants in order to create a new ‘panto’ platform for the city.
It is hoped that as families book up to visit the show they would make it a perfect day out, put their feet up and enjoy a drink and some food at one of the companies backing the scheme before taking their seats at The Maltings.
Already signed up to the scheme is The Prince Albert, The Royal Standard, The Lamb, & Wildwood.
Austen Dack, marketing manager, said “Last year’s pantomime, Cinderella, was seen by over 7,000 people across the three-week run and we are hoping to beat box office records this year.
“It makes sense to try ‘share’ this audience with the business people of Ely and help drive footfall into our partners particularly pre-show in the early evening.”
Daniel Bell, pantomime producer, said: “We are delighted to be working alongside local businesses to help promote the overall economy in Ely.
“We are planning our biggest pantomime to date, full of spectacular surprises as well as all the traditional elements our audiences have come to know and love!”
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
The cast will consist of a team of professional actors as well as some local children from the KD Academy.
A live band, spectacular effects, brand new costumes and sets will also be featured in this year’s festive extravaganza.
Mayor of Ely, councillor Elisabeth Every, said: “It is a wonderful idea to encourage the 7,000 plus people who book tickets for the pantomime to also visit some of the first class restaurants, cafés and bars we have in Ely.
“We are lucky to have a professional pantomime and for it to share its audience especially to increase the night time economy is a great new initiative for the area.”
Mike Connolley (pictured with some of the cast) representing The Albert and The Standard, said: “Whilst the usual Christmas big days like Christmas and New Year Eves can be busy, some dates in between are quieter.
“To attract the family audience from Snow White, just before the shows, would give us a welcome boost.”
If you run a cafe bar or restaurant and you too would like to get involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
The pantomime, sponsored by Cheffins, runs from December 22 through to January 10. For tickets, visit kdtheatre.co.uk or call the box office on 01638 781 037.