VIDEO PREVIEW: Ely Cathedral to host an electrifying concert by 110 singers and musicians of the Dowsing Sound Collective
- Credit: Archant
A GROUP of 110 singers and musicians will perform an electrifying range of music in Ely Cathedral next month.
Cambridge’s maverick music sensation, The Dowsing Sound Collective, has a set list that includes numbers by Paul Simon, Moby and the Rolling Stones, and a bold instrumental line-up including the cathedral organ, trumpet, flugelhorn and drums from Africa, the middle East and Europe.
The concert is on Saturday July 6, and founder of Dowsing Andrea Cockerton said: “We are not your average choir. We have our own band, which comprises professional musicians, and we are open to both accomplished singers and people who haven’t sung in a group before.
“Dowsing’s age range spans from 20 to 70, and around a third of the group are men. We sing challenging, new versions of contemporary songs in up to 16 parts, as well as more conventional choral pieces.
“The resulting sound is something really special, and the amazing acoustics in Ely Cathedral will make this a show to remember.”
You may also want to watch:
Producer Nina Lucking, who has extensive experience performing in diverse spaces all over the world, said: “Ely Cathedral is a challenging venue for this type of event but the musical arrangements have been written specifically for the building, so that the audience will experience a fantastic tailor-made gig.”
Jonathan Lilley, assistant organist at Ely, said: “There’s a completely different atmosphere in the Cathedral from what you might find in a typical modern concert hall – its sheer size gives a long reverberation.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
To book tickets contact Ely Cathedral Box Office on 01353 660349 or email: email@example.com. Tickets cost from £15.