VIDEO: Ely DJ Cumminz rubs shoulders with world’s top DJs in Ibiza and enjoys V Festival headline slot
- Credit: Archant
A student who decided to teach himself to DJ after a trip to Ibiza a year ago performed at one of Britain’s biggest festivals last week.
George Cummins, who is known as Cumminz, took to the stage alongside Essex-based singer James Ford on Friday and Sunday at V Festival where The Killers, Rudimental, Tinie Tempah and Chase & Status also performed.
Cumminz, who studies at Hertfordshire University, described playing at V Festival as the “highlight” of his career so far.
He said: “It was the highlight of my musical journey to date. I was so excited to find out that I was headlining the Friday night of the festival and also playing on Sunday before the likes of The Killers, Rudimental, Tinie Tempah and Chase & Status to name a few.
“It was awesome. Before the set the tent was empty but by end of the first song the tent was packed. Security had to stop people coming into it. We were headlining but when we finished no one was going anywhere so I played an encore. It was definitely my best gig.”
Cumminz rise of prominence has been rapid - in the space of 12 months he has accumulated more than 100,000 plays, performed at Ministry of Sound alongside some of the world’s biggest DJs and has played DJ sets on 85 radio stations on seven continents.
The 21 year old, who played football for Ely City last season, has more than 10,000 fans on social media and, since releasing his debut remix in May with Canadian star Lina Fouro, has been approached by a number of top singers to work on other remixes and original tracks.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
He said: “I decided to teach myself how to produce and mix music, as it is something that I have always wanted to get involved with.
“I uploaded a few mashup mixes online, and the next thing I knew, I had accumulated over 100,000 plays across my various platforms
“I was soon booked to play at several local clubs in the area at house nights as a guest DJ, such as The Fountain, Lola Lo and De Niro’s Night Club.
“In March 2014, I was invited to play at the UK’s number one club Ministry of Sound, which was an incredible experience.
“Throughout this year I have been invited back to perform regularly and I have been lucky enough to join the line up with some of the world’s top DJ’s, such as Dash Berlin, Andrew Rayel and Borgore.”
Cumminz returned to Ibiza this summer - this time he was hanging out with other DJs including the world number one DJ Hardwell.
Cumminz is performing at Spank Parties ‘I’ll House You’ on Sunday (August 25) at Lola Lo, Cambridge and at the ‘Housed2Funk’ first anniversary on Saturday, September 6 at Club Element, St Ives.
For Cumminz latest news, new music and competitions go to his Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/cumminzofficial