Unique story of Fenland Ice Skaters to hit our screens this week in special documentary
- Credit: Archant
Fenland ice skaters are being celebrated in a new television documentary to be aired this week.
The 30 minute television documentary, titled Chasing Ice: The Fen Skating Story, will be broadcast on Community Channel (Freeview, Channel 63) this Friday (March 11) at 10.30pm, and has been produced by local film production company Cambridge Filmworks of St. Ives.
Chasing Ice: The Fen Skating Story is a quirky and revealing documentary about a little known sport that is intrinsically linked to the history of the East Anglian Fens.
The half-an-hour programme tells tales of the origins of the Fenland landscape and of the characters that sustain the local sport to this day.
Editor at Cambridge Filmworks, Barrie White said: “It was a pleasure to put this film together, going through interviews and old archive, piecing together this uniquely Fenland story.”
You may also want to watch:
Co-owner of Cambridge Filmworks and Ely resident Adam Giles said: “The project started out as a local film to help promote Fen Skating heritage within local schools and community groups and has ended becoming a programme on national TV, such has been the interest.”
Fen Centre (the Fen Skating association) commissioned Cambridge Filmwork sto produce Chasing Ice: The Fen Skating Story to promote Fen Skating Heritage and its links the Ouse Washes.
- 1 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 7 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 8 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 9 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
The project was funded through a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund grant aided Ouse Washes Landscape Partnership.