Two authors celebrate their new books with a visit to Ely
- Credit: Archant
TWO very different authors - one a scholar and one a popular novelist - are coming to Ely early next month, to talk about their new books.
On Wednesday May 1, city bookstore Toppings has arranged for Oxford professor Diarmaid MacCulloch to speak about his work, called Silence: A Christian History.
Diarmaid - whose BBC television series A History of Christianity was a great hit - will consider the surprisingly mixed attitudes of Judaism and Christianity to silence.
Toppings say: “This will be a deeply enlightening evening, considering all sides of the nature of noiselessness in spirituality.”
A week later, Topping will welcome novelist Audrey Niffenegger, the author of the acclaimed The Time Traveller’s Wife, and Her Fearful Symmetry. She is appearing in Ely to celebrate her new novel, Raven Girl.
You may also want to watch:
Rebecca Harris from Toppings said: “The Time Traveller’s Wife is still a hugely beloved and popular novel, which was made into a film that was also a huge bestseller.
“We are thrilled that Audrey is coming to us on Wednesday May 8 with her new and hugely exciting book, Raven Girl, a dark and beautiful fairytale of a story that will delight all her readers, new and old.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
“She’s rarely over from the States so we’re really pleased that she’s coming to Ely, a great treat for us all.”
Both events will be held at St Peter’s Church in Broad Street, Ely, with doors opening at 7.10pm for a 7.30pm start. Entry vouchers cost £6 if purchased before the event, and £7 on the day. To book call 01353 645005.