Tickets selling fast for Viva’s show The Sound of Music in Ely Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
TICKETS are selling fast for a production of The Sound of Music, to be performed in the stunning surroundings of Ely Cathedral later this month .
Viva Youth Theatre is staging the popular musical as part of its 15th anniversary celebrations, working alongside its adult group, Viva Theatre Company.
Daniel Schumann, who founded Viva Youth Theatre, explains: “Because this is our 15th year, and because from the little youth theatre I started all those years ago blossomed an adult theatre group too, I thought it would be lovely to celebrate by joining forces and doing a show together. And what better than the hugely popular Sound of Music?
“And to be able to set it in the beautiful surroundings of the Lady Chapel is truly wonderful. I think it will give the show a really magical quality.”
Daniel began Viva Youth Theatre with a small production of Bugsy Malone, staged in Soham Village College back in 1997, with a cast and crew of just 50. Since then the group has tackled huge productions such as Les Miserables, performed in Cambridge in 2009, and West Side Story in Ely Cathedral in January 2011.
You may also want to watch:
Viva Theatre Company was established 10 years after the young people’s group, and has won numerous awards and plaudits for shows like Hobson’s Choice and The Importance of Being Ernest.
Last year it joined forces with the Royal Shakespeare Company and took part in the national Open Stages project performing Much Ado About Nothing in the grounds of the magnificent Anglesey Abbey. Rehearsals are currently underway for its next production, the play Bouncers, which will be performed in May 2013.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
Tickets for The Sound of Music cost £12, and £10 for concessions, and can be bought from Ely Cathedral box office on 01353 660349 or online at tickets.elycathedral.org. The show runs from February 28 to March 2. Performances in the heated Lady Chapel start at 7.30pm.