Theatre group to ‘Break an Egg’ with Christmas show at Corpus Christi Playroom, Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Ely-based Break an Egg Theatre Company offers a comedy alternative to the Christmas chaos next week when its latest show takes to the stage at Corpus Christi Playroom, Cambridge.
Turn down that umpteenth Christmas party, or give late-night shopping a miss, and instead travel back to 1985 where a bunch of misfit guests threaten to foil career-on-the-rocks chat show host Judy Platt’s attempts at a TV comeback.
Fast-forward 30 years to the present day where incompetent art thief Charlie Lemon attempts the biggest heist in history with a fake Mona Lisa that has six fingers.
And end the evening in the distant future as the motley crew of the starship Melancholy search through time and space for a mysterious orb of perpetual energy.
The Alternative Christmas Carol is an evening of three original one-act comedy plays which are based on the theme of past, present and future (inspired by Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol).
You may also want to watch:
The show runs from December 15-17 at Corpus Christi Playroom, Cambridge, starting at 7.45pm each night.
Tickets are £8, £6 concessions, and the show is appropriate for people aged 16 and over.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
Written by the theatre company founders Nick Timmings, Matt Harvey and Rich Dodd, the three plays (Christmas Chat with Judy Platt, Booby Trap and Space Quest) are all new original pieces of theatre.
They feature local acting and technical talent from Ely and Cambridge.
The Alternative Christmas Carol follows Break An Egg’s first, sell-out production The Alternative Christmas Party, which ran in December last year, and its second production Operation: Summer Holiday, which enjoyed a successful run in July.
Mr Dodd, writer and director of Space Quest, said: “It’s truly an evening of comedy variety as we start back in the 1980s, move forward to the present day before ending with a farce-filled futuristic finale.
“We carefully thread elements through each of the three plays but they are also all stand-alone pieces.
“If you’re looking for some farcical distraction from Christmas – then look no further!”
To buy tickets, call 01223 300085 or visit www.corpusplayroom.com