St Mary’s Church to host an evening with poet Wendy Cope
- Credit: Archant
Poet Wendy Cope is coming to St Mary’s Church in Ely next week as part of an event hosted by Topping & Company Booksellers.
In ‘Anecdotal Evidence’, Wendy’s first collection of new poetry since 2011’s acclaimed ‘Family Values’, Wendy celebrates “the half-forgotten stories of our lives” with compassion, wisdom and wit.
She shares her experience of childhood and marriage, writing poignantly about the passing of time.
In several of the poems she re-imagines Shakespeare in unorthodox fashion; in others she offers heartfelt tributes to friends and to public figures including Eric Morecambe and John Cage.
The event is on Tuesday March 13. Doors 7.10pm for a 7.30pm start.
You may also want to watch:
Visit www.toppingbooks.co.uk for tickets (£7 standard and £14.99 book included).
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor