Soham Carnival goes in search of 60 past carnival princesses
- Credit: Archant
SOHAM Carnival is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, and to mark the diamond day, the organising committee is planning a host of special events, including a cavalcade of past carnival princesses.
There are also plans to display photographs and memorabilia at the carnival on Bank Holiday Monday, May 27, and the committee has launched an appeal for items to go on show.
Soham Benevolent Association secretary Kate Bavester said: “To help celebrate the 60th anniversary, we plan to display photographs and memorabilia on a large screen during the event.
“Whilst we have a good photographic record of more recent events, we would like to feature any photographs and press cuttings of carnivals of yesteryear. We need the help of Ely Standard readers to do this.”
The organising committee is appealing for all carnival princesses, from 1953 to 2012 to get in touch, so a parade float of princesses can join in the traditional procession.
Kate added: “We would like to make the parade the biggest we have had in recent times. Whether you are a school, pub, band, club, business, organisation or just a group of friends who would like to get involved, why not enter a float or just take part in the parade?”
A full day’s entertainment has already been organised for the event held on the recreation ground, with the traditional heavy horse show running from 9am to 1pm.. The popular Team Extreme are returning to the event with their BMX, scooter and skateboard mastery to wow the crowds. Also confirmed are the Funky Fidos, Sammy Magic Magic, the Queen tribute band ROCK Q, and numerous stalls, a beer tent, and barbecue.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 10 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
If you have any photographs for the display, they can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or taken to KNA Creative at 9a Churchgate Street, Soham, who will be happy to scan the items ready for use.
To book a float in the parade, or to join in the procession, please e-mail email@example.com or contact Kim Botting on 01353 624493.
Stalls are still available for the day at £15.00. Booking forms for the stalls are available on the website www.carnival.soham.org