Ely Amateur Dramatic Society takes to open stage to perform Shakespeare’s ‘Twelfth Night’ at Old Palace Garden
- Credit: Mike Rouse / ARCHANT
An alternative Shakespeare world, with social media and reality TV, was brought to the open stage by the Ely Amateur Dramatic Society (ADS).
The group performed the modern take on the classic 'Twelfth Night' at the Old Palace Garden in the city from Wednesday, August 14 to Saturday, August 17.
Lisa Bushell, member explaining the story, said: "Illyria 2019 is the biggest event in the summer festival calendar.
"It was founded by millionaire Orsino and takes place on his estate every year. He runs it with his best friends. They are a close knit team.
"It is the perfect place to be incognito to escape a media frenzy. This is Olivia's plan. She is a social media and TV sensation and has millions of Instagram followers.
You may also want to watch:
"Recently both her father and her brother died and so Olivia has come to Illyria 2019 to lose herself amongst the thousands of festival goers so she can mourn and recover.
"She has not come alone but has only brought the most important members of her entourage with her for company and support."
For more information about the Ely ADS, visit: www.facebook.com/elyamateurdramatics
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor