REVIEW: Viva’s ‘Shakers’, at The Brook in Soham tonight and tomorrow, is ‘fantastic’ with ‘superb acting’
- Credit: Archant
Viva’s performance of ‘Shakers’ at The Brook in Soham on Thursday night was fantastic.
This was a first night production, yet the four stunning actresses launched into their amusing scenarios immediately with confidence, gusto and skill.
These highly talented actresses were Kerry Hibbert (as Nicki), Jenny Tayler-Surridge (Carol), Cassie Rouse (Mel) and Maddie Palmer (Adele).
They played a group of disillusioned waitresses working at ‘Shakers’, a supposed up-market cocktail bar, so realistically that we could empathise with them immediately.
Every nuance of humour, sarcasm and pathos was expressed and even when portraying crude, sex-obsessed blokes eyeing up the girls, these actresses never lost a moment and we were there in the 80’s witnessing the quirky characters and customs of the time, be they party girls, snooty media types, trendy snobs or ignorant slobs, they were very much the role(s) they were playing.
You may also want to watch:
Their poignant, tear-jerking monologues created contrasting moments of depth and insight into the emotions and turmoil that their characters suffered. The acting here was superb.
David Tickner lived up to his name as a first-rate director and with an excellent team of workers managed to pull off yet another fantastic production by this amazing company. More please!
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 7 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
There are two more performances of ‘Shakers’ on Friday 10 and Saturday 11 February.
The next Viva production is ‘Legally Blonde’ from March 1 to 4. Visit www.viva-group.org.uk/current-events.html for info and to book.