REVIEW: Marina and the Diamonds’ opening show of UK Neon Nature tour is a career best
- Credit: Archant
Part Kate Bush, with her eccentric stage presence and flowing outfit choices; a hint of Lana Del Rey’s melodramatic storytelling and a good dose of Charli XCX emoji inducing pop hits, Marina and the Diamonds live show is never dull.
Cleverly split into three acts - one for each of her albums - the Welsh singer’s Neon Nature Tour places crowd-pleasing at its heart.
The opening third, focusing on her debut ‘The Family Jewels’, takes the packed crowd right back to where her career began and the excitement/nervousness about her upcoming fame.
Quirky pop hits like ‘I Am Not A Robot’ almost seems like a precursor to fka Twigs’ trip-hop sound, while ‘Hollywood’ comes with emoji covered background visuals and sounds as if it could have been released yesterday.
For Obsessions, Marina sits at a piano, showcasing her emotive vocals before transitioning to second album material from ‘Electra Heart’.
You may also want to watch:
Reappearing in a nude-coloured outfit, she bounces around for catchy pop hit ‘Bubblegum Bitch’ before everyone empties their lungs during ‘How to be a Heartbreaker’.
The final act, centred on her latest album ‘Froot’, evolves around Marina learning to be happy within herself.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Boosted by a show-stopping sparkling blue ensemble with matching headdress, ‘Im A Ruin’ sees her glide across the stage a la ‘Wuthering Heights’ while ‘Immortal’ puts Marina in Lana Del Rey mode.
Marina’s fanbase are as loyal as any other major popstars – they dress like her and patiently wait outside after the powerful show.
More than worth the wait, Marina Diamandis delivered a highly promising opening show.