Rare treat for music lovers as husband and wife team up for Ely Sinfonia
- Credit: Archant
A celebrated husband and wife team will make a rare appearance together to play a double concerto in Ely Cathedral next month.
Cellist Raphael Wallfisch and his wife, violinist Elizabeth Wallfisch, will join Ely Sinfonia to play Brahms’ Double Concerto in Ely Cathedral on October 18, from 7.30pm
They will be joining Ely Sinfonia to perform Brahms’ last major orchestral work, the Double Concerto in A minor for violin, cello and orchestra.
As Ely Sinfonia’s president, Raphael Wallfisch has performed with the orchestra twice before. However, this will be the first time that his wife, Elizabeth, has played with the orchestra.
Steve Bingham, Ely Sinfonia’s artistic director and conductor, said: “We are delighted and honoured that both the Wallfisches have agreed to join us for what promises to be an exceptional concert.
“Raphael is one of the best-known cellists currently playing on the international stage, while Elizabeth also has an international reputation for her playing and immense repertoire, which includes classical and baroque concertos using period and modern instruments.
“This will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for orchestra and audience alike.”
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 6 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 7 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 8 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 9 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 10 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
Brahms’ Double Concerto is a romantic piece of music, echoing back to the era of the baroque concerto grosso with its fusion of sternness and delicacy.
Tickets start at £7 (unreserved) and are available from Ely Cathedral box office on 01353 660349, e-mail email@example.com and online from https://tickets.elycathedral.org.