PREVIEW: The Owl and the Pussycat ready for Ely opening with its bong trees, pirate piggies, a turkey and, of course, the Runcible Spoon!
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s CAT Theatre Company has announced the dates for its forthcoming production, The Owl and The Pussycat.E
The fresh take on the poetic classic will run at Needham’s Hall, in Ely College, from May 2-4.
With the book and lyrics written by Ely’s Peter Crussell and local musician Rowan Marshall, this musical comedy is an adaptation of Edward Lear’s iconic nonsense poem that Lear wrote for his patron’s children in 1867.
Blending reality with fantasy, this vibrant and exciting show starts in the British town of Esher and takes the audience on a magical journey over stormy seas to the land where the Bong Trees grow.
We meet various eccentric animals along the way including Pirate Piggies, a turkey – and not forgetting, of course, the Runcible Spoon.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Crussell, writer and director, said: “Rowan and I felt it important to keep the spirit of Lear’s original poem, which is only about 24 lines and at the same time create a lively and fun show.
“So we embellished it, added a few extra characters and tried to imagine why The Owl and The Pussycat would set off to sea.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
“Most importantly though we wanted to make an enjoyable show for both children and adults, but one with a definite moral message.”
Tickets are available from Burrows Bookshop on 01353 669759 or from www.cately.ticketsource.co.uk