Map out your weekend at Ely Eel Festival with the first ever eel safari!
- Credit: Archant
Friday sees the launch of Ely Eel Festival’s food safari which runs across the whole weekend.
A variety of Ely’s restaurants, cafés and food venues have embraced our eel theme and are offering special festival dishes/menus using eel or providing creative twists on the eel theme, say organisers.
Here’s where to stop off during your Ely Eel Safari:
The head chef of Ely’s very own boutique hotel will be serving up a selection of gourmet eel canapés. So if you haven’t tasted eel but have always wanted to, then pop into Poets this weekend and try a small morsel accompanied with a glass of fizz or your favourite
The Old Fire Engine House
- 1 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 2 E-scooter crackdown sees crimes drop by third across county
- 3 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 4 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 5 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 6 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 7 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 9 Caught on camera the moment an otter came up for dinner
- 10 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
Offering a truly traditional Fen culinary experience with their teatime offering of beetroot scones with smoked eel and homemade horseradish.
Experience an extra treat at the end of your meal with an eel shaped biscuit alongside your coffee. Alternatively, remember to order one for a sweet fix with your tandoori or biryani takeaway order.
Allgoods of Ely
The local cheesemonger, as well as many other deli delights, has risen to the challenge and come up with some eel shaped cheesy straws using their favourite cheeses.
The Ely Fudge Company
For this weekend only, they’ve created the ultimate jelly eel fudge, combining their handmade fudge with colourful wiggly eels.
3 at 3
An “Eely Good Platter” of smoked eel and hot smoked salmon with speciality dips and sauces is on the menu.
They’ll be offering a one off, limited edition, special ale entitled – “Eel ave another one”.
Serve Eel Catcher’s Tea which is a strong welcoming brew laced with rum. In addition, they will be offering their Isle of Ely Pudding, a steamed pudding topped with apple and clotted cream, sitting in a lake of caramel sauce.
They will be offering ‘eel-ectrifying curacao’ – a raspberry vodka, blue curacao, lemons and lime, soda and sherbet mix, ‘burr-eel-to’ an imaginative eel shaped burrito as well as an eel-themed ‘burger of the weekend’.
The Prince Albert
The team have come up with an inspiring “eel and apple crumble with radish cider jelly and lemon and celeriac custard”.