Local historian Peter Warwick to give lectures at Special Interests Day in Ely
- Credit: Archant
Well known historian and authority on Lord Nelson, Peter Warwick, will present three lectures to the Ely Decorative and Fine Arts Society on October 12.
The lectures, which are part of the society’s Special Interests Day, will be held in the Methodist Church Hall, Chapel Street.
Peter’s lectures will begin with the rise of British naval supremacy which laid the foundation of its global empire.
He will then talk about the great sea battles, explore life aboard the great wooden ships of the time and then look at paintings by the maritime artists of the day and the illustrations and caricatures which were used to capture the essence of the period.
Peter will finish the day by discussing the Trafalgar Campaign and the melancholy splendour of Lord Nelson’s heraldic funeral.
You may also want to watch:
“This promises to be a fascinating day covering so many aspects of Maritime Georgian Britain.
“The quality of Peter’s lectures are renowned within the society, so don’t miss this opportunity to hear an expert in their field talking about this fascinating part of British history,” say organisers.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Having written articles on Nelson and naval history, Mr Warwick’s his first book, Voices from the Battle of Trafalgar, was published in 2005 – the centenary year of the Battle of Trafalgar.
He regularly gives lectures about Nelson, his battles, loves and leadership, and was also vice-chairman of the Official Nelson Commemorations Committee and played a key role in the planning, development and organisation of the Trafalgar Festival and Sea Britain 2005.
The cost of the day, including a buffet lunch, is £30. To book contact Maggie Haverson on 01353 725915 or download an application form from the Ely DFAS website www.elydfas.org.uk