Historic Spitfire plane to fly over Aldreth’s Blossoms and bygones festivities
- Credit: Archant
AN historic Spitfire plane from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will be flying over Aldreth on May 12, as part of the village’s Blossoms and Bygones celebrations.
The village will be transported back to the 1940s for the afternoon, with the Suffolk Home Guard in attendance and Cambridge Lindy Hop dancing the jitterbug outside the village centre.
Vintage cars and military vehicles will line the High Street, while classic cars will be on display on the playing field, and a team of 1940s style road builders will cook on a brazier and wash up in a dolly tub .
Both Aldreth and neighbouring Haddenham welcome hundreds of visitors to their Blossoms and Bygones celebrations. In Haddenham the village is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Arkenstall Centre by taking on a Victorian theme on Sunday May 12.
Villagers are invited to decorate their home to reflect Victoria’s patriotic heyday, and put on Victorian costume and stroll around the varied attractions, as well as watch music hall style entertainment and visit a Victorian garden fete.
On the previous day in Aldreth, a car boot sale will be held at the recreation ground, and vintage sale will take place in the High Street. There is also a race night on Saturday.
For ticket details about the Aldreth race night, call Liz Dolman on 01353 749611, and to help with village events contact Kim Smith on 01353 740272.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 5 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 9 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 10 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
To get involved at Haddenham, email: firstname.lastname@example.org