Historic Spitfire plane to fly over Aldreth’s Blossoms and bygones festivities
- Credit: Archant
AN historic Spitfire plane from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will be flying over Aldreth on May 12, as part of the village’s Blossoms and Bygones celebrations.
The village will be transported back to the 1940s for the afternoon, with the Suffolk Home Guard in attendance and Cambridge Lindy Hop dancing the jitterbug outside the village centre.
Vintage cars and military vehicles will line the High Street, while classic cars will be on display on the playing field, and a team of 1940s style road builders will cook on a brazier and wash up in a dolly tub .
Both Aldreth and neighbouring Haddenham welcome hundreds of visitors to their Blossoms and Bygones celebrations. In Haddenham the village is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Arkenstall Centre by taking on a Victorian theme on Sunday May 12.
Villagers are invited to decorate their home to reflect Victoria’s patriotic heyday, and put on Victorian costume and stroll around the varied attractions, as well as watch music hall style entertainment and visit a Victorian garden fete.
You may also want to watch:
On the previous day in Aldreth, a car boot sale will be held at the recreation ground, and vintage sale will take place in the High Street. There is also a race night on Saturday.
For ticket details about the Aldreth race night, call Liz Dolman on 01353 749611, and to help with village events contact Kim Smith on 01353 740272.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
To get involved at Haddenham, email: email@example.com