Handbells by Candlelight: Fund-raising concert at Stretham Church
- Credit: Archant
THE unique sound of handbells will ring out at St James’ Church in Stretham on Sunday evening, during a funding raising concert entitled Handbells by Candlelight.
Young musicians from Little Thetford Girls and Boys Brigade will join a host of seasoned handbell ringers for the event, with a programme of popular and classical music and change-ringing.
Money raised from the concert will be used to restore and refurbish the village’s own recently rediscovered set of bells, an undertaking that is expected to cost in excess of £1,000. It is hoped the bells will eventually be used by a new Stretham & Little Thetford Handbell Group.
About a dozen Brigade members aged from five to 14 will play Belleplates, a modern and lighter version of handbells, and they will also play recorders and sing during the concert that starts at 7pm.
Also performing will be the Bottisham Handbell Ensemble and Fordham Handbell Change Ringers. At the end of the event, it is hoped to ring the main church bells.
You may also want to watch:
Jane Dunseath, captain of the Girls and Boys Brigade, said: “The youngsters really enjoy playing the Belleplates, and they are very capable.”
Concert organiser Peter Binns said: “We have a very varied programme lined up and I’m sure our audience will not fail to be entranced by the unique sound of the bells.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Admission costs £4 for adults, and under 16s free. Refreshments will be available in the interval.
Tickets are available from Stretham Stores, Peter Binns on 01353 649428, Jane Dunseath on 01353 649232, or at the door, subject to availability.