Exhilarating and nerve-racking, Go Ape’s Segway at Night experience at Thetford Forest is perfect for thrillseekers
- Credit: Archant
Exhilarating and nerve-racking at the same time, GoApe’s new Segway at Night experience is one for the thrill-seekers.
Journeying through the woods of Thetford Forest in the pitch black with just a torchlight on your helmet to lead the way makes for an eerie but incredibly fun evening out.
With the opportunity to spot montjack deer, badger and owls, the forest becomes a totally different place at night. Running until this weekend, it’s safe to say the limited series of after-hours events is aimed at the more adventurous among us.
After an introduction, safety talk and training lesson, we’re soon feeling at home and comfortable on our “steeds”, as our instructors joke, heading towards the trail centre.
Increasing in the number of humps and sharp corners, there’s a real sense of achievement as we complete each of the four trails – and to be given a certificate at the end of the session, after a two-mile free ride back to camp, makes it even more memorable.
“Not many people would have been in a forest after dark,” instructor John says as we make our way back to the training base.
“Senses are heightened, too, as you negotiate the trails under the beam of a head torch - it’s a different, exiting experience.” Though they know the trials well, they admit they still find it creepy in the dark... but don’t let that put you off.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
Don’t miss your last chance to experience the 2018 Segway at Night fun this weekend. Sessions run from 5-6pm and 6.20-7.20pm on Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 November.
To book visit www.goape.co.uk/thetford