Sainsbury's cafe escapes closure threat
- Credit: Archant
The café inside Sainsbury’s Ely store is not among those threatened with closure.
The store announced that the store is one of those which will keep its existing café.
But Sainsbury’s is undergoing radical change across many stores with the closure of 200 cafes in stores across the country.
"Around 2,000 colleagues are likely to be impacted because of the changes,” said a company spokesperson.
“Colleagues affected will be prioritised for vacant roles in Sainsbury’s stores and will be encouraged to explore alternative roles within the wider business.”
Many stores will opt for a new eat-in, takeaway and home delivery food and drink offer.
The move follows a successful trial of a new food hall format called The Restaurant Hub at its Selly Oak store in Birmingham.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 8 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 9 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
Ely is one of 67 Sainsbury’s cafes to remain open whilst the company “reviews rollout plans”.
Sainsbury’s also announced plans to close less popular hot food counters in 34 stores and simplify the way it runs its bakeries in 54 stores.
Simon Roberts, Sainsbury’s Chief Executive Officer said it was a “difficult decision to close 200 of our cafes next month”.
He accepted it would mean an “unsettling time for our colleague but we must keep adapting our business to make sure we are offering customers the best possible food and drink at affordable prices”.