Folk trio Georgia Lewis and Friends are the winners of Ely Folk Festival’s 2016 band competition
- Credit: Archant
The winner of Ely Folk Festival’s 2016 band competition in partnership with the Ely Standard has been announced.
Georgia Lewis, a folk singer and accordionist from Wiltshire, will kick off the opening concert on July 8 with Irish fiddler Rowan Piggott and guitarist Felix Miller who make up the band.
Fionnuala Lennon, of the festival committee, said: “What made this band stand out were the sweet, clear vocals of Georgia, the alluring and accomplished instrumental accompaniment, an engaging mix of traditional and self-penned numbers and the sheer joy of performing that shines through with this talented trio.
“The band competition has gone from strength to strength over the years and has provided a great springboard for some of the best unsigned folk and roots acts around.
“I suspect we’ll be hearing a lot more from Georgia Lewis in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Georgia Lewis will share the stage with Tom Figgins, The Young’Uns and Blackbeard’s Tea Party.
Ely Folk Festival 2016 runs from July 8 to 10.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
The festival line-up features Edward II, the English roots band that blends Caribbean rhythms with traditional songs; internationally-renowned Irish trad group, Altan; and singer/songwriter Dougie MacLean whose anthem Caledonia is one of Scotland’s most popular contemporary songs; Martin Simpson; Heidi Talbot Band; Monster Ceilidh Band; Gigspanner; Wizz Jones; RURA and many more.
As well as music, there will be children’s entertainment (under 10s get in free), food and craft stalls, a real ale bar, workshops and ceilidhs.
Weekend tickets at early bird prices end on May 31. To book visit www.elyfolkfestival.co.uk
For more information about Georgia Lewis visit www.georgialewis.co.uk