Ely’s annual Etheldreda Craft and Food Fair returns to the city in June
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s annual Etheldreda Craft and Food Fair takes place on Palace Green on Saturday June 2 from 10am to 6pm.
Supporting traditional English music with a traditional English fair, the entertaining day for the whole family includes over 40 stalls featuring crafts, local foods, jewellery, plants, gifts and summer produce.
Visitors can try their luck on the tombola and test their aim on the coconut shy as well as enjoying Pimm’s and strawberries and cream on the lawns in front of Ely Cathedral.
All profits from the fair go to the Ely Cathedral Choir Tour Fund.
The Etheldreda Fair was started in the early 1990s by the director of music at Ely Cathedral and his wife when they opened their home and garden for refreshments and light lunches on the Open University degree ceremony day.
It was named ‘The Etheldreda Fair’ as St Etheldreda, the founding abbess of the first abbey in Ely, is celebrated annually on June 23.
By the late 1990’s the organisation of the fair was taken on by the boy chorister parents.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
Contact Christina Leak via firstname.lastname@example.org