Ely’s annual Etheldreda Craft and Food Fair returns to the city in June
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s annual Etheldreda Craft and Food Fair takes place on Palace Green on Saturday June 2 from 10am to 6pm.
Supporting traditional English music with a traditional English fair, the entertaining day for the whole family includes over 40 stalls featuring crafts, local foods, jewellery, plants, gifts and summer produce.
Visitors can try their luck on the tombola and test their aim on the coconut shy as well as enjoying Pimm’s and strawberries and cream on the lawns in front of Ely Cathedral.
All profits from the fair go to the Ely Cathedral Choir Tour Fund.
The Etheldreda Fair was started in the early 1990s by the director of music at Ely Cathedral and his wife when they opened their home and garden for refreshments and light lunches on the Open University degree ceremony day.
You may also want to watch:
It was named ‘The Etheldreda Fair’ as St Etheldreda, the founding abbess of the first abbey in Ely, is celebrated annually on June 23.
By the late 1990’s the organisation of the fair was taken on by the boy chorister parents.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
Contact Christina Leak via email@example.com