Ely Eel Weekend 2019 gets underway with launch event at The Maltings
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of city residents and civic dignitaries attended the launch of Ely’s Eel Weekend and Food and Drink Festival, which is now in its 15th year.
Guests including the Mayor of Ely, Councillor Mike Rouse, filled The Maltings Riverside Bar and Kitchen as organisers shared their plans for the 2019 event.
The launch, which was hosted by Visit Ely, came after the Babylon Arts charity launched a fundraising appeal to help save parade mascot Ellie the Eel.
Ellie has made an appearance at every Eel Day for the past 14 years. But each year the costs around making, organising, storing and repairs must be covered.
James Stevens, of sponsors Cambridge Commodities, was also at the event.
Fleur Patten, who runs the Ely Rock Eels group and attended the event, said: “Fabulous launch. Hearty thanks to all the sponsors.”
Bridget Hickish added: “Roll on Eel festival.”
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
This year’s Ely Food and Drink Festival takes place from 10.30am to 4.30pm on Sunday 5 and Monday 6 May.