Ely Eel Weekend 2019 gets underway with launch event at The Maltings
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of city residents and civic dignitaries attended the launch of Ely’s Eel Weekend and Food and Drink Festival, which is now in its 15th year.
Guests including the Mayor of Ely, Councillor Mike Rouse, filled The Maltings Riverside Bar and Kitchen as organisers shared their plans for the 2019 event.
The launch, which was hosted by Visit Ely, came after the Babylon Arts charity launched a fundraising appeal to help save parade mascot Ellie the Eel.
Ellie has made an appearance at every Eel Day for the past 14 years. But each year the costs around making, organising, storing and repairs must be covered.
James Stevens, of sponsors Cambridge Commodities, was also at the event.
You may also want to watch:
Fleur Patten, who runs the Ely Rock Eels group and attended the event, said: “Fabulous launch. Hearty thanks to all the sponsors.”
Bridget Hickish added: “Roll on Eel festival.”
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 3 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 4 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 5 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 6 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 7 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 8 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
This year’s Ely Food and Drink Festival takes place from 10.30am to 4.30pm on Sunday 5 and Monday 6 May.