Ely Cathedral host it’s first gospel Christmas concert
- Credit: Archant
A hypnotic mix of traditional and modern became the first successful gospel Christmas concert at Ely cathedral.
Fusing a range of styles was the essence of the evening that mixed British with Latin American, African and classical.
In the beautifully illuminated cathedral the audience were lost in a performance that was spell binding and magical in its simplicity.
Performing for the evening were two choirs - one the Croydon Gospel Choir of 18 singers led by BBC proms regular Ken Burton who also played piano.
The other was a mix of the Ely cathedral Girls Choir and the cathedral choristers, of 30 voices.
You may also want to watch:
It was a back to basics evening of mesmerising voices performing under the precision guidance of both Mr Burton and director of Ely Cathedral Girls Choir Sarah MacDonald.
The musical evening was completed thanks to organist Alexander Goodwin.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
Having walked into the cathedral with minds full of the busy complexities of life in the run up to Christmas the audience left with a sense of harmony and peace and a feeling that in this joining of choral forces we had witnessed something very special.
Here’s to the 2016 gospel Christmas concert.