Ely Cathedral host it’s first gospel Christmas concert
- Credit: Archant
A hypnotic mix of traditional and modern became the first successful gospel Christmas concert at Ely cathedral.
Fusing a range of styles was the essence of the evening that mixed British with Latin American, African and classical.
In the beautifully illuminated cathedral the audience were lost in a performance that was spell binding and magical in its simplicity.
Performing for the evening were two choirs - one the Croydon Gospel Choir of 18 singers led by BBC proms regular Ken Burton who also played piano.
The other was a mix of the Ely cathedral Girls Choir and the cathedral choristers, of 30 voices.
It was a back to basics evening of mesmerising voices performing under the precision guidance of both Mr Burton and director of Ely Cathedral Girls Choir Sarah MacDonald.
The musical evening was completed thanks to organist Alexander Goodwin.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
Having walked into the cathedral with minds full of the busy complexities of life in the run up to Christmas the audience left with a sense of harmony and peace and a feeling that in this joining of choral forces we had witnessed something very special.
Here’s to the 2016 gospel Christmas concert.