Diocese of Ely bell-ringers will be ‘Singing for Ringing’ at folk concert
- Credit: Archant
Cambridgeshire folk singers Ann Biggs and Ruth Bramley will be giving a concert at St Andrew’s Church, in Oakington to raise funds for the recruitment and training of new bell ringers across the Diocese of Ely.
With two voices in harmony and accompaniment on guitar, hurdy-gurdy and other instruments, ‘Singing for Ringing’ will offer a lively evening of folk songs specially chosen and written to celebrate bells and bell ringing.
The event takes place on Saturday, September 20, from 7.30pm.
For those in the audience who enjoy singing, there will be lots of choruses to join in with.
Ruth started bell ringing in March 2012 at Stretham, and also regularly rings at Haddenham and Bluntisham.
You may also want to watch:
Ann and Ruth kindly agreed to give this concert because they recognise the urgent need to attract more people to the art of church bell ringing in order to keep this unique traditional activity alive in the 21st century.
Funds raised at this and certain other events organised by the Ely Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers will be used on publicity to generate enquiries from and recruit prospective bell ringers and pay for the equipping and operation of Ringing Education Centres delivering formalised training, tuition and practice facilities.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
Whilst admission is free of charge, donations to the Ely Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers’ Recruitment and Training Fund at the discretion of audience members will be gratefully received. Refreshments will be available during the interval.