Connor Browne on the local music scene
ONE of Newcastle’s best new talents, her soulful voice and an instrumental fit for Jamie XX or SBTKRT is all it takes to create an absolutely stunning debut single in Rope Mirage.
THIS week’s highlights include some great new band action like the Strawberry Fair Band Competition Final at The Junction on April 27, while ex-Felice Brother, Simone Felice, plays with the Simone Felice Group at the same venue on May 3.
Album Of The Week
Oberhofer - Time Capsules II
You may also want to watch:
AMERICAN indie-pop upstarts Oberhofer release their debut album, and it’s certainly a colourful listen. Opener Heart ends up sounding pretty large, with a nice amount of reverb and a massive chorus. Vocalist Brad Oberhofer’s slurred vocal delivery jutting awkwardly between big hooks. Landline’s plaintive lyrics taint what could have been a great track, but Away From U is reminiscent of Los Campesinos! at their finest.
Although this album has it’s off-moments, it’s still a good debut and signals an even better second record.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Man found dead in March
Single Of The Week
Bernholz - Austerity Boy
ALTHOUGH this project has yet to garner a huge fan base, early support slots (Citizens! etc.) and a placement of the track on Tom Robinson’s unsigned mixtape suggests that bigger things could be on the horizon. With a looping, sampling feel and sharp, falsetto vocals it feels fresh and interesting and produced brilliantly, quite rare for a band’s debut single.
New Band Of The Week
ONE of Newcastle’s best new talents, her soulful voice and an instrumental fit for Jamie XX or SBTKRT is all it takes to create an absolutely stunning debut single in Rope Mirage. Dark, melodramatic dub step-influenced electronica permeates her tracks giving her a crisp, modern sound; one to look out for.