Connor Browne on the local music scene
ONE of Newcastle’s best new talents, her soulful voice and an instrumental fit for Jamie XX or SBTKRT is all it takes to create an absolutely stunning debut single in Rope Mirage.
THIS week’s highlights include some great new band action like the Strawberry Fair Band Competition Final at The Junction on April 27, while ex-Felice Brother, Simone Felice, plays with the Simone Felice Group at the same venue on May 3.
Album Of The Week
Oberhofer - Time Capsules II
You may also want to watch:
AMERICAN indie-pop upstarts Oberhofer release their debut album, and it’s certainly a colourful listen. Opener Heart ends up sounding pretty large, with a nice amount of reverb and a massive chorus. Vocalist Brad Oberhofer’s slurred vocal delivery jutting awkwardly between big hooks. Landline’s plaintive lyrics taint what could have been a great track, but Away From U is reminiscent of Los Campesinos! at their finest.
Although this album has it’s off-moments, it’s still a good debut and signals an even better second record.
- 1 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 2 £2m in government funding secured to explore A10 improvements
- 3 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 4 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 5 New chief executive for combined authority will earn up to £200k a year
- 6 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 7 'Most significant' Fens archive footage in years
- 8 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 9 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 10 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
Single Of The Week
Bernholz - Austerity Boy
ALTHOUGH this project has yet to garner a huge fan base, early support slots (Citizens! etc.) and a placement of the track on Tom Robinson’s unsigned mixtape suggests that bigger things could be on the horizon. With a looping, sampling feel and sharp, falsetto vocals it feels fresh and interesting and produced brilliantly, quite rare for a band’s debut single.
New Band Of The Week
ONE of Newcastle’s best new talents, her soulful voice and an instrumental fit for Jamie XX or SBTKRT is all it takes to create an absolutely stunning debut single in Rope Mirage. Dark, melodramatic dub step-influenced electronica permeates her tracks giving her a crisp, modern sound; one to look out for.