Catch Ely Consort at the Methodist Church
- Credit: Archant
Ely Consort’s next concert takes place in Ely Methodist Church and focuses exclusively on music written in the High Renaissance and Baroque eras.
The title Cantate Domino - Sing to the Lord - is not only the piece by Monteverdi which will open the concert, but also reflects the fact that many of the settings the consort will be singing psalms of praise.
The most substantial piece in the concert is Bachs magnificent setting of Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied, one of the greatest pieces of baroque choral music, which will demand extreme virtuosity from the choir.
Other well-known works in the concert are Purcell’s Hear My Prayer and Lotti’s Crucifixus, both well suited to the season, and as a complete contrast, Handel’s famous coronation anthem Zadok the Priest.
Ely Consort will be accompanied by a small instrumental ensemble who will also perform movements from Bach’s Concerto for two violins.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets to the event, priced at £8 prior to the event, are available from from Burrows Bookshop, in High St Passage, Ely or by calling 01353 669759.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony