Car club to celebrate landmark anniversary in Ely
- Credit: Archant
Cambridge and District Classic Car Club is celebrating its 20th anniversary with a rally at Ely Cathedral, next month.
The club is inviting classic car owners to bring their pride and joy down to the cathedral on Saturday, August 1, to mark the club’s big day.
David Hunns, chairman of the classic car club, said: “It should be a fantastic day, as there are some great activities and places to visit while in Ely. All cars must be parked outside the Cathedral by 10am.
“Marshals will be on hand to help you park on Palace Green, which is directly in front of the main entrance.”
The club can trace its history back to 1986, when it started life as the Morris Minor Owner’s Club.
You may also want to watch:
After a positive start, member numbers quickly dwindled and it was decided to open up the membership to all classic car owners, heralding the start of the club in its current incarnation.
There are now more than 70 regular members, with cars ranging from 60s sports cars and saloons right through to the more modern Maxda RX7.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
To find out more about the club and the upcoming rally, visit http://www.cdccc.uk/