Book talk will celebrate life of ‘vocal yokel’ Dennis of Grunty Fen
- Credit: Archant
The man who interviewed Dennis of Grunty Fen on BBC radio for almost 20 years will talk about his new guide book at Ely Library.
Broadcaster Christopher South released The Authorised Guide to Grunty Fen earlier this year, in tribute to the comic creation.
Dennis of Grunty Fen was the creation of singer-songwriter Pete Sayers, who appeared with Mr South in weekly visits to Grunty Fen on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire for almost 20 years.
Essential reading for any armchair traveller, the guide includes vital notes on survival, local currency, architectural glories, culture, customs, dining out, shopping, entertainment, the history of the rhubarb industry and how to repair a jammed piano accordion.
Mr South said: “Every aspect of Fen life from Potts’ Thick to brawn horns, from the Great Stink Pipe to competitive drain-rodding and the Imperial Rhubarb Mills, are included.
You may also want to watch:
“Currency, health, shopping and religion are copiously covered and there are vital warnings on how to deal with feral nuns, the dreaded green flux and a range of poisonous plants.”
A Toppings spokesman said: “Get this Guide now and avoid the ordeal of actually going there.”
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 10 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
Mr South on Dennis of Grunty Fen in Ely takes place on Thursday, December 11, at Ely Library. Doors open at 7pm for a 7.30pm start. Tickets cost £7 on the door and include a free copy of the book.