Youngsters Maintain Top Berth
ELY Roller Hockey under 11s maintained their berth at the top of the Eastern Counties League with a polished tournament win. In an exciting day s roller hockey at Cambridge Regional College at the weekend, the Ely under 11 team ensured they stayed top of
ELY Roller Hockey under 11s maintained their berth at the top of the Eastern Counties League with a polished tournament win.
In an exciting day's roller hockey at Cambridge Regional College at the weekend, the Ely under 11 team ensured they stayed top of the Eastern Counties table with the maximum three wins from three games.
In their first encounter against Cottenham, Ely raced into a strong position scoring five goals in the first seven minutes, Heather Dunand with two and Ryan Norton with three. In the second half Cottenham fought back scoring three quick goals but Dunand and Norton continued to net for Ely ensuring a final result of 10-3 to Ely.
The second game of the day proved to be harder still for the young Ely side as they netted two goals early in the first half against Letchworth.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Ely continued the pressure but without success, and only strong keeping from Molly Williams and defence from Archie Salmon and Ryan Jackson prevented Letchworth from going ahead.
At a crucial time however, with both teams tiring, Ely were awarded a penalty. Dunand took the spot kick and although the keeper initially saved the shot she scored on the rebound. This proved to be the key moment with further goals from Dunand and Norton ensuring a 5-2 victory.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
In the last game of the day against the league's newest team Chesterton, Ely netted early on and continued in strong scoring form. Dunand and Norton bagged goals four and five respectively and Elliot Gordon also scored making it 10 in total. A clean sheet for Williams ensured a 10-0 victory.