Young Track Stars Impress
ASPIRING track stars from the East Cambridgeshire Athletics Club (ECAC) pitted their wits against top-class competition last week at the Ely Runners One Mile Handicap Event. Youngsters Jonah Balmford, 12, Millie Oddi, 11, and Molly Butler, 12, lined up al
ASPIRING track stars from the East Cambridgeshire Athletics Club (ECAC) pitted their wits against top-class competition last week at the Ely Runners One Mile Handicap Event.
Youngsters Jonah Balmford, 12, Millie Oddi, 11, and Molly Butler, 12, lined up alongside dozens of senior club veterans, who regularly appear at high-profile national events, at Quanea Drove near Stuntney for a one mile speed endurance test.
The young trio were invited to compete in the event by their coaches Alan Rutterford and Melanie Fisher after impressing in their group endurance training and, undaunted by their lofty competition, the youngsters impressed once more with some strong times.
Jonah was first home among the trio in 6m 02secs with Millie and Mollie coming home in 7m 13secs and 7mins 44secs respectively, impressive times set against overall winner and club star Craig Holgate, who came home in 4m 34secs.
You may also want to watch:
Coach Alan Rutterford, said: "I expected them to do eight to nine minute miles, but as you can see from the results, especially Jonah, they did very well and made me proud as their coach to see them beating seniors.
"They will continue to train with Ely Runners under my guidance when I'm available, which should enhance their drive to see what they really can achieve."
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
The last training session of ECAC's season is being held on July 28 at King's School, but new members are welcomed to sign up for the new season which will begin on September 8. Anyone interested should contact Alan on 07821988959.