Young Tigers too good for rivals Newmarket
- Credit: Archant
Colts Rugby ELY returned to action following the winter break with a battling win over local rivals Newmarket.
From the outset, Newmarket tried to play to their strengths in the forwards but Ely’s defensive work resulted in frequent attacks being stifled by fantastic tackling in midfield.
Ely arrived at the breakdowns quickly and secured possession on numerous occasions, ensuring they gained the edge in the first exchanges.
Ely were first to strike, with Robbie Hayes breaking through the Newmarket line midfield to run from distance to score. Hayes’s effort was soon followed by a forwards try as Stephen Snook picked up at the base of a ruck and, supported by Thomas Chatfield-Holmes, drove over the line to score.
Newmarket came back determined and Ely’s defence was tested to the full with Snook letting little pass him in the tight and the line of Harvey Cross, Oscar Edwards and Jacob Dawes working hard to prevent Newmarket runs.
Eventually however, Newmarket’s determination paid off and pulled a try back.
With the game in the balance, a blindside move just inside the half between Hayes and Cross resulted in a decisive score. Robbie, with a pick and go at the base of a ruck ran to the 22 and offload to supporting scrum half Cross, who sidestepped the final defender to score.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 6 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 7 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 8 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 9 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 10 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
Both sides continued to exchange attacks but the final play of the game saw Ely win a ruck near their own try line and kick the ball long up field. The kick was chased down by several Ely players to set up a series of runs and offloads that the initial kicker Hayes was able to collect and score.
Ely Squad : Byron Read, Ben Sirota, Jack Brosnan, Jack Emery, Kevin Ranasinghe, Thomas and William Chatfield-Holmes, Shaun Freeman, Oscar Edwards, Jake Newton, Robbie Hayes, Harvey Cross, Euan McTaggart, Jacob Dawes, Stephen Snook and Daniel Piper.