Yearn clinches 12th championships
ELY City Golf Club’s Lee Yearn clinched victory at the club’s annual championships for an unprecedented 12th time.
Yearn was once again on top form to clinch the win in the club’s premier competition, shooting a gross total of 139 to come home comfortably clear of runner up Luke Ryan, who carded 150.
The 36-hole competition, held on July 10, was split into two sections, scratch and handicap, with the lowest gross score securing the championship.
All those participating had either qualified through being single figure handicap players or by scoring a net 74 or better in the preceding qualifying rounds.
The handicap section was won by Ed Webster shooting a net 70 in the morning and an outstanding net 64 in the afternoon, a total score of 134, runner up was Gyles Peacock with a net 138 beating Kevin Peacock on count back. Ed started the day off with an 11 handicap and ended up as a single figure player.
You may also want to watch:
Yearn congratulated green staff and organisers for the success of the event after he was awarded the championship shield by club captain Keith Whiting Lee.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
Club champion: Lee Yearn 139 (68 + 71)
Runner up: Luke Ryan 150 (75 + 75)
Third: Terry Ryan 152 (78 + 74)
Fourth: Chris Nixon 152 cb (74 + 78)
Handicap champion: Ed Webster 134 (70 + 64)
Runner Up: Giles Peacock 138 cb (68 + 70)
Third: Kevin Peacock 138 (68 + 70)
Fourth: Neil Bronson 139 (70 + 69)