Wisbech Town 2-1 Ely City: Robins give the Fenmen a scare in all-Fenland pre-season clash
- Credit: Archant
A goal from teenage starlet Harry Limb was enough to separate Wisbech Town and Ely City as the two sides met in an entertaining all-Fenland affair on Friday night.
Brady Stone’s Ely side travelled to a sunny Elgoods Fenland Stadium for the third in the clubs’ pre-season friendly schedule, and gave the higher-level Fenmen a scare as Wisbech ran out 2-1 winners.
Thurlow Nunn Premier League newcomers Ely began the encounter brightly; snapping at the heels of their opposition, and it wasn’t long before their tenacity was rewarded through reserve star, Dom Hunt.
A flowing move, involving Craig Neal, Matty Simpson and Josh Sewell ended with Hunt checking onto his left foot and firing beyond the ‘keeper.
Ely were able to hold onto their lead into the half time break, but Wisbech entered the second half revitalised and levelled through Adam Millson’s spot-kick.
You may also want to watch:
The match looked likely to peter out into a draw until Wisbech new boy Harry Limb pounced on a loose ball and slotted home his first Fenmen goal.
Ely will look to bounce back from their first pre-season defeat in their home clash with Cambridge City tomorrow night (7.45pm), while Wisbech Town play host to Thetford Town at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium (also 7.45pm).
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze