Winning trip to the seaside
Broadlands 0 Ely 15 ELY Tigers first XV had to endure the long trip to Great Yarmouth at the weekend, but the journey was worthwhile and the 15-0 victory maintains their lead at the top of the league. Sam Sanders-Hewett and James Dening were both unavail
Broadlands 0 Ely 15
ELY Tigers' first XV had to endure the long trip to Great Yarmouth at the weekend, but the journey was worthwhile and the 15-0 victory maintains their lead at the top of the league.
Sam Sanders-Hewett and James Dening were both unavailable for the game, so Gavin Ross moved to fly-half and Mark Goude to number eight, with Karim Faisali and Stacey Mould coming into the team.
In wet, blustery conditions, Ely put
You may also want to watch:
Broadlands under pressure from the kick-off and after a break from a scrum, Ed Fahy sprinted 30 yards to go over in the corner and give the visitors a 5-0 lead.
Tigers continued to push forward and only desperate defending kept them out. However, Ely were rewarded for their hard work when Fahy slotted over a penalty.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
Again, Ely looked to add to their score but the wind made passing difficult and the
visitors had to be content with an 8-0 half-time lead.
Tigers were made to pay for slow ball in the early stages of the second half, but the breakthrough came when a good series of drives from the forwards led to Clive Ward powering over the line.
Fahy successfully converted to give Ely a comfortable 15-0 lead and, despite facing late pressure from the home side, Tigers held on to take the points.
# TRIES from Magnus Woodroffe, Dan Pike and Joel Scott-Paul helped Ely's second XV to a 22-0 home win over Potton.
Matt Daybell kicked two conversions and a penalty in the Greene King League clash.