Winning trip to the seaside
Broadlands 0 Ely 15 ELY Tigers first XV had to endure the long trip to Great Yarmouth at the weekend, but the journey was worthwhile and the 15-0 victory maintains their lead at the top of the league. Sam Sanders-Hewett and James Dening were both unavail
Broadlands 0 Ely 15
ELY Tigers' first XV had to endure the long trip to Great Yarmouth at the weekend, but the journey was worthwhile and the 15-0 victory maintains their lead at the top of the league.
Sam Sanders-Hewett and James Dening were both unavailable for the game, so Gavin Ross moved to fly-half and Mark Goude to number eight, with Karim Faisali and Stacey Mould coming into the team.
In wet, blustery conditions, Ely put
Broadlands under pressure from the kick-off and after a break from a scrum, Ed Fahy sprinted 30 yards to go over in the corner and give the visitors a 5-0 lead.
Tigers continued to push forward and only desperate defending kept them out. However, Ely were rewarded for their hard work when Fahy slotted over a penalty.
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 4 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 8 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
- 9 Baby murder trial told of midwife's concerns
- 10 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
Again, Ely looked to add to their score but the wind made passing difficult and the
visitors had to be content with an 8-0 half-time lead.
Tigers were made to pay for slow ball in the early stages of the second half, but the breakthrough came when a good series of drives from the forwards led to Clive Ward powering over the line.
Fahy successfully converted to give Ely a comfortable 15-0 lead and, despite facing late pressure from the home side, Tigers held on to take the points.
# TRIES from Magnus Woodroffe, Dan Pike and Joel Scott-Paul helped Ely's second XV to a 22-0 home win over Potton.
Matt Daybell kicked two conversions and a penalty in the Greene King League clash.