Winds cause havoc
STRONG winds caused havoc at Roswell Pits on Sunday and Ely Sailing Club members were forced to fight to keep their helms upright. Most of the seven entrants in the first handicap race capsized and the eventual winners were John and Mollie Wells in an Ent
STRONG winds caused havoc at Roswell Pits on Sunday and Ely Sailing Club members were forced to fight to keep their helms upright.
Most of the seven entrants in the first handicap race capsized and the eventual winners were John and Mollie Wells in an Enterprise.
Gary Ungless' Solo was second and Tym Forder, in a Laser, finished third. The day's racing was then cancelled.
There was more competitive sailing in the races at Roswell Pits last week and there was a dead heat in the Enterprise Class.
The race officer was unable to separate the top two boats as Bob Utteridge and Marie Brown crossed the line at exactly the same time as father and son, Kevin and Scott Bilham.
Newcomers Kevin and Scott Bilham were involved in their second dead heat of the day when they tied for fourth in the second handicap race.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 6 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 9 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 10 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
Results - first handicap race (six boats): 1 Alan White (Solo), John Wells and Scott Bilham (Enterprise), 3 Graham Tory (Solo), 4 John Cant (Laser Radial). Second handicap race (eight boats): 1 Alex Tory (Solo), 2 Alan White, 3 Bob Utteridge and Marie Brown (Enterprise), =4 Graham Tory, =4 Kevin and Scott Bilham. First Enterprise Class race: 1= Bob Utteridge and Marie Brown, 1= Kevin and Scott Bilham. Race two: 1 Bob Utteridge and Marie Brown, 2 Kevin and Scott Bilham. First and second Solo Class races: 1 Alex Tory, 2 Alan White, 3 Graham Tory. Laser Class race one: 1 John Cant, 2 John Wells. Race two: 1 Martin Mills, 2 Jeff Casper.
ELY Sailing Club will be hosting the second round of the Cambs Youth League on Saturday.
Sailors aged 18 and under from the Cam, Hunts and Paxton Sailing Clubs will compete and Ely members will be featuring in three separate starts, depending on class handicap. Racing begins at 11am.