Wilson wins it for Robins
AN injury time goal from Dave Wilson handed Ely City their second win of the season on Saturday.
Ely City 2
Midfielder Wilson rose above a flat Gorleston defence to head home a deep corner two minutes into injury time.
The win moves the Robins up into 13th place ahead of their match against Diss Town at the Unwin Ground on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Goalkeeper Lee Pacey was pressed into action from the first whistle against a busy home side, and he was instrumental in keeping the scores level in the opening 10 minutes as Gorleston’s Steve Taylor had his double effort well saved.
The home side went closer still after 15 minutes only for Eddie Thompson’s well-struck effort to cannon off the underside of the bar.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Alan Alsop’s men were also denied by the woodwork shortly after as new-boy Taz Chisonga watched in agony as his cross-cum-shot beat the keeper and rebounded off a post.
It took until the 60-minute mark before the deadlock was finally broken as Ali McKenna latched on to an excellent through ball to slot neatly past Pacey.
Ely were not overawed however, and, after redoubling their efforts, managed to restore parity through returning defender Adam Murray, who nodded home from a corner in the 73rd minute.
Alsop’s charges continued to cause consternation in the Gorleston box with their set-plays and, survived a late scare as the ball again bounced off Pacey’s post, to head home the winner.