Westcott fires reliant Robins
Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup Ely City 3 Great Shelford 2 THE Robins dominated this cup match on Tuesday night and could have won by a lot more. Ely came out firing but spurned several chances before a Martin Westcott double during a five minute spell, pu
Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup
Ely City 3 Great Shelford 2
THE Robins dominated this cup match on Tuesday night and could have won by a lot more.
Ely came out firing but spurned several chances before a Martin Westcott double during a five minute spell, put the home side in a commanding position; the first a drilled effort from the edge of the box in the 27th minute and the second a well-taken header after a cross.
You may also want to watch:
Ely could have wrapped up the win in the remainder of the half but were unable to finish off a number of promising moves.
The visitors gave themselves hope with a goal, early in the second half, but the Robins' defence remained fairly untroubled after that.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
Jamie Thurlbourne struck a superb free-kick from the edge of the penalty area, with 20 minutes remaining, to increase Ely's lead, before the visitors struck a late consolation goal.
Ely manager Dennis Lightning said: "Shelford are a Kershaw Premier League side, but they are a decent side and could easily hold their own in our division, and this was a very good result for us."
# Ely's next match is at home against Whitton in the league on Saturday.