West Norfolk 10-34 Ely Tigers: McCarthy bags a second straight hat-trick as the Tigers roar to victory in the fog
- Credit: Archant
Matt McCarthy bagged a second consecutive hat-trick as Ely Tigers ended 2016 with another victory last weekend.
McCarthy starred as the Tigers eased to their third straight league success courtesy of a 34-10 win over West Norfolk.
Ely ensured they would end their year on a high with a commanding victory over their local rivals, which began with an opening try from McCarthy who finished off a flowing move early on.
McCarthy doubled his side’s advantage soon after with another score, before West Norfolk were able to pull give points back when the Tigers fumbled a loose ball.
Ely continued to dominate in the second period and McCarthy completed his second treble in as many weeks after darting through the opposition defence and dotting down.
You may also want to watch:
The Tigers notched their fourth try of the afternoon courtesy of Luke Rogan, and Scott Macfarlane and Nathan Brooks tied up a successful outing with two more scores late on.
The Tigers, who now sit in fourth in the London Leagues 3 North-East Division, return to action against Harlow on January 7.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’