Wentworth boxer Tyler Goodjohn admits his future is unclear after hand injury halts title bid
PUBLISHED: 13:17 08 March 2016 | UPDATED: 14:44 08 March 2016
Wentworth boxer Tyler Goodjohn has admitted his future is unclear after a broken hand forced him to pull out of his shot at the vacant English welterweight title.
Goodjohn, nicknamed ‘El Tornado’ due to his destructive style in the ring, suffered the break during a sparring session in Birmingham, and has said that having to pull out of his bout with Johnny Garton on March 19 has left him feeling “empty.”
“I knew instantly the fight was over,” he said. “The pain was indescribable and as soon as I took my glove off the damage was clear.
“I was absolutely devastated that all the hard work, early mornings and money I had put in over nine weeks of training camp had been all for nothing. It left me feeling completely empty and still does.”
The 24-year-old won’t require surgery on his hand, but the setback, and the fact he and his partner are expecting their first child this summer, has forced him to consider his future in the sport.
Goodjohn, who fights out of the St Ives Boxing Academy, said: “I’m unclear on what I’m going to do next. I’m not going to make any decisions to officially retire - I’m just going to let things happen naturally.
“I’ve got a baby girl coming in June and I’ve got a fantastic business [boxing club The Warrior’s Workshop] which I really enjoy and want to make a success.
“If I’m honest, boxing is a massive expense – I’ve barely made a living through it and I’ve got a family to think about now.
“But with all that said, you’re a fighter for life and that boxing bug will always be there so we will see what happens.”