CYCLING: Chilly weather is ‘snow’ match for Ely & District Cycling Club talents
- Credit: Archant
Snow and ice failed to stop Ely & District Cycling members last weekend.
Local cyclists took part in cyclocross and mountain bike challenges, including a sterling performance by junior member Isaac Barton in the 12th round of the Eastern Cyclocross League.
Isaac braved the snow to finish in eighth in the under 14s race. Ferenc Vanhoutte was also taking part in the Veteran 40-49 race, finishing 24th, as was Phil Peacock, who continued his excellent form with a fifth place finish.
Also defying the chilly weather were Mikie Burrell, Dan Bromilow, Cliff Loveday and Derek Ricketts, who were in action at the second round of the KLMTB Winter Series.
Burrwell finished in 10th place, while Bromilow came eighth – despite crashing three times.
Loveday and Ricketts finished 15th and 31st respectively in the Veterans 1.5-hour race.
There was a first for junior member Ollie Sinden, who took part in his first mountain bike race at the Onza Tyres Mini Downhill Series.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
He managed to finish in an impressive 29th place.