CYCLING: Chilly weather is ‘snow’ match for Ely & District Cycling Club talents
- Credit: Archant
Snow and ice failed to stop Ely & District Cycling members last weekend.
Local cyclists took part in cyclocross and mountain bike challenges, including a sterling performance by junior member Isaac Barton in the 12th round of the Eastern Cyclocross League.
Isaac braved the snow to finish in eighth in the under 14s race. Ferenc Vanhoutte was also taking part in the Veteran 40-49 race, finishing 24th, as was Phil Peacock, who continued his excellent form with a fifth place finish.
Also defying the chilly weather were Mikie Burrell, Dan Bromilow, Cliff Loveday and Derek Ricketts, who were in action at the second round of the KLMTB Winter Series.
Burrwell finished in 10th place, while Bromilow came eighth – despite crashing three times.
You may also want to watch:
Loveday and Ricketts finished 15th and 31st respectively in the Veterans 1.5-hour race.
There was a first for junior member Ollie Sinden, who took part in his first mountain bike race at the Onza Tyres Mini Downhill Series.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
He managed to finish in an impressive 29th place.