We are the champions!
Ely Ladies I 3 Newmarket I 1 ELY Ladies 1 were in celebratory mood on Sunday afternoon after winning the Premier Division League Cup Final. Ely met Newmarket at the Kings School Pitch, Ely, and with their desire to win evident from the outset they started
Ely Ladies I 3 Newmarket I 1
ELY Ladies 1 were in celebratory mood on Sunday afternoon after winning the Premier Division League Cup Final.
Ely met Newmarket at the Kings School Pitch, Ely, and with their desire to win evident from the outset they started in impressive fashion.
The midfielders enjoyed early possession and moved the ball effectively up the right flank through Fiona Bartley, Emily Kisby and Gemma Voutt, and within minutes, Ely capitalised on their play to take 1-0 lead through Chanre Bond.
This success only served to increase Ely's determination and Bond soon added a second goal after battling her way past the opposition defence.
Newmarket tried to curtail Ely's attacking movement and generate counter-attacking play of their own, but were repeatedly closed down by the Ely defence.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 4 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 7 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 10 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
Hannah Scotney, Cathy Gilmour, Holly Radcliffe and Fiona Bartley withstood Newmarket's pressure, but they did eventually concede a goal shortly before half-time.
The second half saw Newmarket return to the pitch with an increased energy and much more fight, but Ely worked superbly as a team and supported each other both in play and though encouragement right to the final whistle and the defence - commanded by Scotney - was outstanding throughout.
Ely Ladies continued to seek out the win with their forward attacking play, and extended their lead once more as Bond netted her hat trick. This secured a 3-1 win for Ely and a fitting, well-deserved result to see out Pamela Clarke's reign as Ladies I Captain.
Players of the Match: Hannah Scotney and Chanre Bond.
Ely: Laura Tuck (GK), Cathy Gilmour, Holly Radcliffe, Hannah Scotney, Fiona Bartley, Heather Cooper, Emily Kisby, Ali Chapman, Chanre Bond, Pamela Clarke (captain), Gemma Voutt, Dani Fletcher, Jo Rayner, Anne-Marie Lye.