Walk on the wild side

DIVISION 5B THE fixture between Walsoken United and Little Downham Swifts Reserves was abandoned after an hour when the home side walked off and refused to continue. The teams were drawing 2-2 at the time but Walsoken had become frustrated by Downham s st


THE fixture between Walsoken United and Little Downham Swifts Reserves was abandoned after an hour when the home side walked off and refused to continue.

The teams were drawing 2-2 at the time but Walsoken had become frustrated by Downham's stubborn resistance and increasingly vented their anger at the referee.

This resulted in two dismissals for verbal abuse, at which point the home side collectively decided that they had endured enough and tramped off.

An early own goal gave Downham a lead they seemed unlikely to retain against a superior Walsoken side.

United were soon back on terms, and when they went 2-1 ahead Downham's prospects did not look bright.

Most Read

Andy Lister set up a chance for Richard Scott, however, and his shot found the top corner of the net.

Swifts goalkeeper Dave Lowe made some great saves before Walsoken walked off to surrender the points.

Isleham United Reserves lost 7-2 at Upwell Athletic, but a seven-goal thriller saw Burwell Swifts Reserves win at Wisbech St Mary 'B'.

Tom Thatcher's early double put Swifts in control, and although Wisbech replied a deflected Lee Hobbs effort made it 3-1 before half-time.

Swifts conceded goals either side of Thatcher's hat-trick strike in the second half, but then defended resolutely.


Fordham kept their first clean sheet of the campaign in the home clash with bottom club Wisbech Town Reserves.

The home side took the lead after 30 minutes when Daren Pryke nodded home at the second attempt from a Dan Allcock cross.

It was one-way traffic again after the break, and Fordham made sure of the points when Sam James set up Pryke to score his second of the game.

"We're pleased with the points," said Fordham secretary John Pryke afterwards, "but they (Wisbech) are a young side and we were so superior."

Littleport Town, meanwhile, conceded a goal in each half to lose by the same 2-0 scoreline at home to Waterbeach.

"It's the same old story," said 'Port boss Dave Cullum. "We just can't score and poor defending at set-pieces is costing us dear."


Soham Town Rangers Reserves are still looking for their first win after Saturday's 2-2 draw at Foxton - their second away point in succession.


Soham United won 5-3 at West Row Gunners on the opening day of the season, but have failed to win since, and on Saturday crashed 4-0 at home to the same opponents.

Littleport Town have also slumped after a promising start, this time losing 7-2 at Milton despite goals from Clive Lee and Jamie Linney.

Haddenham Rovers shared the spoils with lowly Great Chesterford. "We let them off the hook, really," said boss Andy Markwell after the 1-1 draw.

Rovers, who at one stage were awarded a penalty which was replaced by an offside decision, conceded a goal 10 minutes before half-time, but levelled on the hour through Kenny Holmes.


Pymoor FC opened their 2B account at the expense of Witchford '96 on Saturday.

Aaron Povey's penalty cancelled out Witchford's opener before half-time, and he made it 2-1 shortly after the interval before Stephen Ball's double extended the lead.

Central defender Chris Kelly scored his first goal for the hosts, nodding home Povey's goalbound volley to make the final score 5-3.

Isleham United also gained their first points of the season with a 1-0 victory against Over Sports Reserves, but the same scoreline saw The Vine lose at home to Needingworth United Reserves.

Stretham Hotspurs, meanwhile, suffered a surprisingly heavy 12-2 defeat at Wisbech St Mary Reserves.


Chris Silvain grabbed the winner eight minutes from time as Mepal Sports continued their fine start with a 3-2 win against Fordham Reserves.

Darren Murfitt and Martin Pettitt were on target in the opening half, and Fordham - who started with 10 men - were reduced to that number again when Ian Butterworth was dismissed for a second yellow card.

Veterans Andy Pearson and Bob O'Connor led the Fordham resistance, with the latter accounting for both of the visitors' goals.

Ely Crusaders also won by the odd goal in a nine-goal thriller at home to Bluntisham Rangers Reserves, but ­Haddenham Rovers Reserves are still pointless after a 4-1 defeat at St Ives Town A.

Gareth Draper's hat-trick helped Little Downham Swifts to a 7-2 win at the expense of Soham United Reserves.

Draper's hat-trick came in the final half-an-hour, with John Bartlett (2) and Lewis Chambers also among the scorers.


Burwell Swifts maintained their 100% record with a 3-1 victory at West Row Gunners Reserves.

Danny Jones tapped in the opening goal after a header from Kevin Driver had rebounded off the bar, and he then turned provider for Glen Carman to score Burwell's second.

Jones scored from the spot after ­Carman's mazy run was ended by a foul in the area, but Swifts goalkeeper Pete Brown was denied the clean sheet he deserved by a dubious late penalty.

Craig Finbow's 55th-minute effort was not enough to save The Vine Reserves from a 4-1 defeat at Exning Athletic, and Littleport Town A were also three goals adrift at the end of their home encounter with Fenstanton Reserves.

Scott Dews (2) and Andy Blackman were on target for the hosts, but Fenstanton ran out comfortable 6-3 winners.

Wicken Amateurs have a settled side at last, and showed the benefit of that with a 2-1 home victory against Cottenham United B.

Wicken, on top throughout, took the lead when Danny Wight's first-half cross was deflected in, but were rocked by an equaliser in the 80th minute.

They were not to be denied and, with five minutes remaining, Dane Turner's cross was met by a looping header from Jamie Palmer which found the net.