Viking's Secure Title With Dominant Win
ELY Vikings 1 clinched the CKA Division 2 title at the weekend as they picked up an impressive 13-5 win over close league rivals, Cambridge Tigers. Coming into the game, Cambridge were the only other team in the league who could still have denied Viking
ELY Vikings' 1 clinched the CKA Division 2 title at the weekend as they picked up an impressive 13-5 win over close league rivals, Cambridge Tigers.
Coming into the game, Cambridge were the only other team in the league who could still have denied Vikings the league, but some typically vociferous attacking play secured Ely an excellent win.
Sensing that the title was just a win away, Ely started the game at an irresistible pace and accrued a mighty 8-3 lead going into half-time.
Cambridge threatened a comeback in the second period as Ely began to wobble allowing the home side to pick up a number of early goals. Captain Laura Matthews was on hand to haul her side back into the contest though, and her hat-trick alongside one from Sarah Graves ensured Ely's wobble was short lived.
You may also want to watch:
The win will see Ely move up to the top division in the CKA korfball league for the first time in the club's three year history.
Meanwhile, Vikings 2 won even more convincingly against Tigers 4. Father and son pairing Mike and Olly Watts did most of the damage in the 26-2 victory, racking up a combined 14 goals for Vikings. Other goal scorers in the match included Alex Seabright, Rob Wootton, Jackie Payton, Laura Matthews and Allison Brown.
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 5 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 6 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up