Video: Hundreds of spectators enjoy ABA Eastern Counties Boxing Finals
A PACKED crowd enjoyed a night of action-packed boxing on Saturday at the ABA eastern counties boxing finals held in Littleport. The event, which drew more than 300 spectators to the Leisure Centre, saw some of the region s foremost young talent battle it
A PACKED crowd enjoyed a night of action-packed boxing on Saturday at the ABA eastern counties boxing finals held in Littleport.
The event, which drew more than 300 spectators to the Leisure Centre, saw some of the region's foremost young talent battle it out for a spot in the national ABA finals, with several home favourites in action.
Home favourite Alfie Smith, defied the odds to claim victory in the 63kg category against Luke Chopping from Brentwood ABC, winning 6-4 on points despite an imposing height advantage for Chopping.
There wasn't such good news from Haddenham ABC's Jesse Smith however, as he lost out to K Steffs from the Essex based club, Berry ABC.
You may also want to watch:
As well as some of the bigger names in local boxing, a host of undiscovered talent was also on show with several representatives from host club All Comers taking to the ring.
David Lamb impressed in the opening bout of the night with an impressive performance against Douglas Staratton from Attleborough ABC. Young Joe Mcgrory was also in action early on and was unlucky to lose the judges decision 3-2 to Mark Bond from Campole ABC.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
Terry Lamb provided home fans with the opening win of the night for the Littleport club as he overcame Rhys Downs from Attleborough ABC in a 5-2 win.
Jess Brown narrowly lost 7-5 to Geno Cowley in the fourth bout of the evening before Frank Yardy wowed the home crowd with a first round stoppage of Haddenham ABC's Joe Davis.