Victory for Ely schools in district rugby tournament
- Credit: Archant
Rugby King’s Ely and Ely College emerged victorious at the Isle of Ely and District Rugby Tournaments this week.
Young rugby players from six schools travelled to King’s Ely to take part in two tournaments: one at under 14 and the other at under 15.
The under 14 tournament was a closely competed affair throughout, with a gap of less than 10 points between both teams being quite the norm. Ely College won both of their league games to face Thomas Clarkson in the final.
The power and speed of the Ely team were too much for their opponents, resulting in a comfortable 35-0 win to Ely College. King’s Ely overcame the disappointment of a league loss to take third spot.
The King’s Ely under 15 A team was simply too strong, beating Witchford Village College and Neale Wade, scoring 77 points without reply. In the final, they discovered another gear, and beat a gallant Cromwell side 47-5.
You may also want to watch:
The forwards – led by skipper George Ignarski – were dominant, enabling good ball to the backs, especially Ciaran Carolan, who scored eight tries on the day. King’s Ely B, smarting from a narrow defeat at the hands of Cromwell, took third place with a 22-5 win over Witchford.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph