Valiant Ely take runners-up berth in cup
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Under 12s
Ely Tigers just ran out of steam as they finished runners up to Huntingdon in the Cambridgeshire County Cup.
The youngsters started their tournament off in style, brushing aside Saffron Walden (15-0) and then Shelford (10-0) to set up a quarter-final tie against Cambridge.
A tough match ensured by Ely triumphed, coming through the match 15-5 winners.
Their semi-final match was Ely’s toughest test of the day, with nothing between themselves and Newmarket in normal and added time – the sides locked at 10-10.
In the end, the toss of a coin decided the winner and it was Ely who went through.
Coach Steve Brown said: “The semi finals had taken their toll but we had to play the final straight after. We gave what we had left. Two quick tries against the run of play, had sapped the life from us. Another try and that was that. Huntingdon winning 15-0.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 9 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
“But what a great effort and deservedly county cup runners up.”