Valiant Ely take runners-up berth in cup
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Under 12s
Ely Tigers just ran out of steam as they finished runners up to Huntingdon in the Cambridgeshire County Cup.
The youngsters started their tournament off in style, brushing aside Saffron Walden (15-0) and then Shelford (10-0) to set up a quarter-final tie against Cambridge.
A tough match ensured by Ely triumphed, coming through the match 15-5 winners.
Their semi-final match was Ely’s toughest test of the day, with nothing between themselves and Newmarket in normal and added time – the sides locked at 10-10.
You may also want to watch:
In the end, the toss of a coin decided the winner and it was Ely who went through.
Coach Steve Brown said: “The semi finals had taken their toll but we had to play the final straight after. We gave what we had left. Two quick tries against the run of play, had sapped the life from us. Another try and that was that. Huntingdon winning 15-0.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
“But what a great effort and deservedly county cup runners up.”